1. Some sun and warmth in the morning before more cloudiness in the afternoon, with a high temperature of 37 degrees. The overnight chill drops to 17 degrees. Sunrise is 7:15 a.m., sunset is 4:30 p.m.
2. Want to start off the new year by doing something a little crazy? The third annual Whaling City Fun Run and Plunge starts at noon at Parade Plaza. Join a group of people in a jog to the Pequot Ave. beaches, ending with a dip in Long Island Sound between Guthrie Place and Jerome Road. Bikers are also welcome, and anyone just wishing to do the plunge should be at the site at 12:45 p.m.
3. If you’re like me you recently received a revised local tax bill reflecting the increase in the mill rate. These payments may be made during the month of January to avoid an interest penalty.
4. Got some interesting photos from your New Year’s Eve celebration? As long as they’re tasteful, we’d love for you to add them to the Pics & Clips gallery.
5. It’s a pretty kingly day today. Some of the monarchs who took the throne on this day include Romanos IV Diogenes (Byzantine Empire, 1068), Francis I (France, 1515) Charles II (Scotland, 1651), and John V (Portugal, 1707).