1. A warm day today, with temperatures reaching the near-record level of 52 degrees. Windy with showers in the evening. The day length is back to 10 hours, with sunrise at 7:02 a.m. and sunset at 5:03 p.m.
2. Ledge Light Health District holds a flu clinic from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. today. This is free for any children between the ages of six months and 18 years, while flu shots for adults are $15. The clinic also accepts Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Medicare Part B and ConnectiCare.
3. Leon de Kock, an English professor at Stellenbosch University, gives a talk entitled “Post-postapartheid Projections: South African Writing in a Transitional Age.” This starts at 4:30 p.m. at the Charles Chu Room in the Shain Library at Connecticut College.
4. Do you own a business in town? Find out more about claiming the directory listing in this article.
5. It’s the 178th anniversary of the first recorded assassination attempt on a President of the United States. Richard Lawrence twice tried to fire a pistol at Andrew Jackson as he left the Capitol in 1835. The 67-year-old president responded by clubbing the would-be assassin with his cane.