1. The first significant New England snowfall is in the forecast for Tuesday, but today is just another dry cold day with sunshine and a high temperature of 48 degrees with an overnight low of 31 degrees. Sunrise is 6:50 a.m., sunset is 4:21 p.m.
2. The City Council has a special meeting tonight, meeting at 7 p.m. at City Hall for a round table discussion on the state’s education initiatives with Dr. Steven Adamowski; this meeting was delayed due to Hurricane Sandy. This is preceded by a Finance Committee meeting at 5 p.m. on the first quarter financial report and capitol funds project as well as a 6 p.m. meeting with state representatives.
3. Our events calendar has a Board of Ethics meeting scheduled for tonight, but these have been on hiatus due to a lack of members on the board. If you’re interested in serving on this board, find out more about the situation in this article.
4. Keep tabs on how well the local high schools and colleges are doing on the court, rink, field, and so on. The New London Sports Roundup posts each Monday at 5 p.m.
5. On this day in 1983, thieves stole 6,800 gold bars and other valuables worth about £26 million from the Brink’s-MAT warehouse at Heathrow Airport in London. The investigation into the robbery remains open nearly 30 years later and only about a third of the bullion has been recovered.