1. A partly cloudy day with the outside chance of a passing shower or thunderstorm. High temperature is 83 degrees, humidity max is 75 percent. Sunrise is 5:46 a.m., sunset is 8:03 p.m.
2. is a week away from the final showdown of their , which began on July 20. You can check out the latest one tonight starting at 6 p.m. Admission is $5.
3. First Fridays mean the return of the at . Crafters are welcome to bring a project, meet with people, and enjoy a snack and music starting at 7 p.m. The business asks that participants be at least 12 years old.
4. Wondering what’s going on across the state in the 2012 elections? Check out the Campaign Notebook, posting each weekday.
5. Joseph Conrad, the British author behind books such as Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim, died on this day in 1924. He was 66 years old.