1. More sunshine today, but that snow isn't going anywhere. The temperature stays between 25 degrees and 29 degrees, with sunrise at 7:15 a.m. and sunset at 4:32 p.m.
2. The Public Library of New London hosts an English Conversation event from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., inviting people to improve their language skills. This is free and runs every Thursday.
3. Another Thursday tradition in New London: a poetry open mic at Bean and Leaf. Share your own work or listen to what others have to share from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
4. The City Clerk’s office tells me that the end of the year means a huge influx of sales for tax purposes, and I believe them. Check the major rush of final sales for 2012 in Sold!, the weekly real estate column posting at 1 p.m.
5. Dana Hussain, a sprinter and the only Iraqi athlete to train within the country for the 2008 Olympics, turns 27 today.