1. Temperatures take a dive today, only getting as high as 57 degrees. It's clear and sunny, however, until some showers and rain move in early in the evening. Sunrise is 6:52 a.m., sunset is 6:19 p.m.
2. Here’s one a resident posted on our events calendar: a tag sale running from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 163 Glenwood Ave. All proceeds benefit ongoing relief efforts in Haiti and remaining items will be donated to the Boys and Girls Club of Southeastern Connecticut and Homeward Bound Treasures.
3. Want to take part in deciding a winner in a global short film contest? The Manhattan Short Film Contest is a collection of the top 10 submissions from around the world, and audiences will pick their favorites. The Garde Arts Center screens these movies at 3 p.m., and admission is $10.
4. Today’s column of The Skrimshander Articles takes a look at the Senate race in Connecticut, basically to say that the campaigns have made me want to ignore it. This posts at noon today.
5. The poet Edgar Allen Poe died in this day in 1849 at the age of 40.