1. "Abundant sunshine," which is nice, but the forecast also calls for a cooler day with a high of 57 degrees. The abundance is also decreasing as we head toward winter, with sunrise at 7:02 a.m. and sunset at 6:05 p.m.
2. Don’t want to watch the second presidential debate between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney alone? Several local Patch folks, elected officials, and political aficionados are heading to Goldy’s Restaurant to watch it at 9 p.m. Stop by to say hello or jockey for the best viewing spot.
3. Municipal historian Sally Ryan’s series on New London history ends tonight. Find out about some of the more recent events in the life of the city with this free lecture, which starts at 7 p.m. at the Public Library of New London. If you’re interested, call ahead to the library to pre-register.
4. You can also get a little bit of New London history every Tuesday afternoon with eBay Tuesday. The column posts at 5 p.m. and looks at the background behind an item up for auction on the site.
5. Cardinal Karol Wojtyla was chosen as the successor to Pope John Paul I today. Wojtyla, who took the name John Paul II, served as the Roman Catholic pope until his death in 2005.