1. Another small chance of isolated storms during the day, with more widespread thunder and lightning likely in the evening. Sunrise is 5:48 a.m., sunset is 8 p.m. The high temperature reaches 79 degrees, while humidity reaches 85 percent.
2. is in its penultimate weekend, with the next opportunity coming in the first weekend in September. You can catch trips to the New London Harbor Light at the at 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m., and 3 p.m., and circuits around the harbor at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. John Mock also visits the as part of the weekend for a musical performance; this takes place at 4 p.m., with ticket prices ranging from $5 to $15.
3. The fruits of a day of work go on display tonight as the perform a series of short plays conceived, written, and rehearsed over 24 hours. The show starts at 8 p.m. at Evans Hall at , and admission is $5.
4. I’ve recently gotten interested in a trend called “urban exploration,” and I’m wondering what sites are good for this in New London or the surrounding area. Learn more with this week’s , posting at noon.
5. Fifty years ago today, Nelson Mandela was jailed. Mandela was arrested in 1962 for leading an armed wing of an anti-apartheid movement in South Africa and sentenced to life imprisonment. He remained behind bars until his release on Feb. 11, 1990. Four years later, Mandela was elected president of the nation.