1. Still windy today, with gusts sometimes exceeding 40 miles per hour. Sunny otherwise, with the temperature staying between 26 degrees and 33 degrees. Sunrise is 6:39 a.m., sunset is 5:27 p.m.
2. Happy President’s Day! City offices are closed as are the New London Public Schools.
3. The City Council meeting that usually takes place every other Monday is bumped up whenever there is a holiday. If you’re interested in attending, it starts at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.
4. Still have to go to work today? See what the traffic and gas prices are like in the Commute section.
5. The “Lincoln County War” started on this day in 1878 following the assassination of English rancher John Tunstall. The shooting followed a couple of years of tensions over control of the region’s economy. One of Tunstall’s bodyguards, Billy the Kid, launched a war of retribution that would continue on and off for four years.