1. Temperatures migrate closer wintry conditions, with overcast skies, a high of 40 degrees, and a low hitting the freezing point. Sunrise is 7:12 a.m., sunset is 4:44 p.m. There's a small chance of mixed winter precipitation overnight, with the extended forecast calling for rain/snow on Wednesday.
2. a book club hosted by the Public Library of New London, meets at 3 p.m. today. The club is currently discussing Jennifer Egan’s A Visit from the Goon Squad, with copies available at the circulation desk.
3. A broomball league starts tonight at the Rink at Parade Plaza. This will meet on Tuesday nights between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. for a seven-week period. If you're interested, check out the article for registration and cost information.
4. Both of these events were posted on the events calendar. If you know of something going on and want to let people know about it, head over to the page and click “Add an event” to fill out the form.
5. It’s the 40th anniversary of the suspension of American offensive actions in the Vietnam War. President Richard Nixon ordered a stop to bombing operations against North Vietnam as a result of peace talks in Paris in 1973. A formal cease-fire began on Jan. 27.