1. Cloudy skies in the morning give way to sunshine and temps in the low-60s. Sunrise is at 7:12 a.m.; sunset is at 5:52 p.m.
2. The Friends of Fort Trumbull have their monthly meeting tonight at 7 p.m. at the Fort Trumbull State Park conference center, concluding a series of Civil War discussions. The guest speaker, Professor Nancy Steenburg, will discuss the role of women, including New London women, in the Civil War.
3. The Board of Education also holds their regular meeting at 7 p.m. tonight at the Science and Technology Magnet School.
4. Interested in adding your own event to the New London Patch? Head over to the events calendar; anyone can post an event as long as they have an account on the site.
5. Benjamin O. Davis, Sr. became the first African-American general in the United States Army on this day in 1940. Davis was promoted to brigadier general after 42 years of service.