1. A 50-60 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms today, and some may be severe. High temperature hits 79 degrees while the humidity reaches 74 percent during the day. Sunrise is 5:38 a.m., sunset is 8:11 p.m.
2. Did you know that the Civil War was the first conflict in which a submarine sank an enemy ship? Naval historian Chuck Veit will discuss his conclusions regarding submarine warfare in this period at the of the Friends of Fort Trumbull. This begins at 7 p.m. tonight at the conference center of .
3. If you’re interested in the inspirations and style of astrophysicist artists, stop by from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. tonight. Edward Belbruno returns to the gallery to give a painting demonstration.
4. Get the latest on sales in New London each Thursday at 1 p.m. details the property transactions of the past week.
5. President Harry Truman signed the National Security Act into law on this day in 1947. The legislation created a number of entities including the Central Intelligence Agency, Joint Chiefs of Staff, National Security Council, and a separate military branch for the Air Force.