1. The scattered showers and thunderstorms expected for Sunday are arriving a little late, with a 60 percent chance of precipitation during the morning giving way to scattered clouds in the afternoon. The high temperature hits 82 degrees, while the humidity high point retreats to 62 percent. Sunrise is 5:49 a.m., sunset is 7:59 p.m.
2. One of the most hot-button issues before the City Council , but they’ll still have a full plate at at 7 p.m. at . Items on the agenda include whether to establish a , establishing a , and appropriating money for . The meets half an hour earlier to discuss a proposed ordinance to in the city’s parks and around the entrances of municipal buildings.
3. The Chamber of Commerce of Eastern Connecticut is asking people to donate to the , as the group is running very low on basic supplies. The center needs body lotion, hair conditioner, body wash, laundry detergent, cereal/granola bars, juice boxes, cans of soup, flashlights and batteries. To donate the items, drop them off Monday through Friday at the center or call Susan Noyes at 860-447-0366 ext. 207 to make other arrangements.
4. From astronomy to doctors’ profiles to oddball marriage tales, we’ve gotten some great blog entries. We’d love to share yours as well! Head to Local Voices to learn more.
5. Norwich Academy was founded on this day in 1819 in…not our northern neighbor. The school in Northfield, Vt., was the first private military academy in the United States.