1. More ugly transition-to-spring weather today, with wind and rain drawing down to a few showers in the evening. Sunrise is 6:25 a.m., sunset is 5:37 p.m. The high temperature is 43 degrees, while the overnight low falls to 36 degrees.
2. The New London Firefighters Burn Foundation is holding a benefit dinner tonight to raise funds toward their support of burn victims and their families. The dinner runs from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Stash’s Cafe. Tickets are $20.
3. A heads up on a weekend event for a good cause: Skate For Babies, a family skating night to benefit the March of Dimes, starts at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday at Connecticut College. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children, with skate rentals an additional $5.
4. You can make more people aware of your own event by heading over to the calendar and clicking “Add an Event.” Fill out the form on time, place, date, and other basic information and you’ll soon appear on the calendar.
5. It’s the 50th anniversary of the election of Juan Bosch as the president of the Dominican Republic. Bosch was the first democratically elected president in the country following the 1961 assassination of dictator Rafael Trujillo but his term lasted only seven months before he was overthrown in a military coup.