1. A sunny day with a high of 41 degrees and overnight low of 17 degrees. Sunrise is 7:15 a.m., sunset is 4:31 p.m.
2. It’s the last day to take advantage of a holiday sale at the Charity Bookshop at 591 Poquonnock Road in Groton. Sales here benefit the New London-based Child and Family Health Agency. The shop is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
3. Want to catch the mayor today? He’s speaking at a Lions Club meeting at 12:15 p.m. today at Goldy’s Restaurant, discussing plans and hopes for the upcoming year.
4. The Lion’s Club has become especially adept at using the events and announcements pages. It’s an easy process open to all users, so we invite you to share your own. Find out more here.
5. Bruno Richard Hauptmann, the man accused of kidnapping and murdering aviator Charles’ Lindbergh’s son in 1932, went to trial on this day on 1935. The trial ran through Feb. 13, when Hauptmann was found guilty. He was executed in 1936.