1. A surprisingly warm day today, although the forecast of wind and clouds may cut that down. The high temperature is 67 degrees, only six degrees warmer than the projected low temperature. Sunrise is 7 a.m., sunset is 6:08 p.m.
2. Free Sunday tours of the Connecticut College Arboretum will run through October. If you’re interested, meet outside the Olin Science Center today at 2 p.m.
3. The Coast Guard Band’s has a free performance at the same time, presenting a program of Broadway show tunes. This will take place at Leamy Hall on the campus of the Coast Guard Academy.
4. Wondering what else is coming up in the world of local music? Check out The Sounds of New London. This posts every Friday at 5 p.m., but covers the next seven days of music.
5. It’s the 50th anniversary of the start of the Cuban Missile Crisis, which lasted for two weeks in 1962. A U-2 spy plane discovered missile sites capable of striking the United States in the island nation, prompting a standoff between the U.S. and Soviet Union that ended when the Soviet Union withdrew missiles from Cuba and the U.S. removed missiles from Turkey and Italy.