1. Mostly cloudy today with a high temperature of 77 degrees and humidity peak of 72 percent. Sunrise is 6:08 a.m., sunset is 7:32 p.m.
2. Sample some island food, music, and culture tonight as returns for its second year. This kicks off at 5 p.m. at and runs until 11 p.m.
3. and Phi Sigma Beta join forces for an to give out school supplies as well as food and activities today. This event runs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at .
4. Don’t try to deposit that check at the branch on State Street; it went ahead with the plan to . What do you think should take its place? We ask you that in this week’s Fill The Spot, which solicits opinions on how to fill vacant storefronts and buildings around New London every Saturday at noon.
5. James Cook departed England on this day in 1768 on his first exploratory mission, sailing to Tahiti at the request of the Royal Society of London to observe a transit of Venus across the Sun. Cook also visited New Zealand and the eastern coast of Australia before returning to England in February of 1771.