1. Mostly cloudy today with a 30 percent chance of snow showers in the morning and rain showers in the afternoon and evening. The temperature hovers between 44 degrees and 41 degrees. Sunrise is 6:55 a.m., sunset is 4:19 p.m.
2. A benefit volleyball game to support the Gemma E. Moran United Way Labor Food Center and three New London students who lost their home in a fire will take place at noon today at New London High School. Admission is $2, or $1 if you bring a non-perishable food item for donation.
3. Wondering who chopped down all the good Christmas trees? They’re at the Elks Lodge for the annual Festival of Trees. For a chance to a) get a tree without the hassle of choosing and decorating one and b) help out the New London Community Meal Center, head there at 6 p.m. to put a bid into the auction. Refreshments are available and admission is $12.
4. Or if you’re looking for a wreath instead, a workshop on making your own is taking place from 9 a.m. to noon at the Olin Science Center at Connecticut College. The cost is $34 for the general public and $29 for members of the Connecticut College Arboretum.
5. Costa Rica celebrates Military Abolition Day today. This commemorates the day in 1948 when President Jose Figueres Ferrer did away with the country’s armed forces following victory in a civil war.