1. Mostly sunny today with a high temperature of 73 degrees and 54 percent humidity. Sunrise is 6:24 a.m., sunset is 7:05 p.m.
2. A couple of City Council committees are meeting tonight. The goes first at 5:30 p.m., discussing and a New London Police Union request for an . The follows at 6:15 p.m. with discussions on business reinvestment initiatives, a Main Street investment grant fund, and marketing the city. Both meetings take place at .
3. It’s the last day for the Cruise Night season at . The evening of classic cars and classic tunes starts at 6 p.m.
4. Do you or someone you know own a business in New London? Find your listing on the site and hit the “Claim It” option. This will allow you to keep the information up to date.
5. Abebe Bikila, an Ethiopian athlete, won the gold medal in the marathon on this day in 1960 at the Olympics in Rome. Bikila was the first black African to win an Olympic gold medal, and did so running the race barefoot. On this decision, he later commented, "I wanted the world to know that my country, Ethiopia, has always won with determination and heroism."