1. A mostly sunny day today with a high temperature of 54 degrees. Sunrise is 6:59 a.m., sunset is 6:10 p.m.
2. The Connecticut College Arboretum is offering both a hike and children’s workshop on “Uncovering the Mysteries” of the park today at 10 a.m., while adults can meet for a tree identification workshop at the same time; registration for the latter is $18.
3. Save Ocean Beach is holding their regular fall fundraiser tonight to collect money toward improvement projects at Ocean Beach Park. Admission is $30 and includes a buffet dinner, auction, music, and dancing. The event runs from 6:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
4. Want to share your voice in the Local Voices? Blogging on the New London Patch is open to anyone and all topics.
5. It’s the day that never was, at least in some areas in the year of 1582. Because of the implementation of the more accurate Gregorian calendar (still used today), the day did not exist in 1582 in Italy, Portugal, Poland, and Spain in order to align with the standard.