1. The second day of autumn stays pretty temperate, with sunshine and a high of 71 degrees today. Sunrise is 6:37 a.m., sunset is 6:43 p.m.
2. The Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes sets out from Ocean Beach Park this morning at 9 a.m. There is no registration fee, but all money raised will go toward the American Diabetes Association.
3. Guided tours of the Connecticut College Arboretum continue today. Meet outside the Olin Science Center at 2 p.m.
4. Whether you’ve got an opinion on municipal issues or just want to talk about a topic close to your heart, it’s always good to see blogs on the site. Head to the Local Voices section to read submissions and learn more about adding your own.
5. Ray Charles, a Grammy Award-winning rhythm and blues artist, was born on this day in 1930. He died in 2004 at the age of 73.