1. A humid day with a 40 percent chance that a shower or thunderstorm might come through. The high temperature is about 80 degrees, the humidity point 83 percent. Sunrise is 5:54 a.m., sunset is 7:53 p.m.
2. F.R.E.S.H. New London ends its summer youth program this evening. With the Toastmasters as judges, participants will reflect on their experience in a friendly competition of speeches. These will be followed by a pizza supper. The public is invited to attend from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the community garden at the corner of Williams and Mercer Streets.
3. A bit of self-promotion since I’m part of the New London Rotaract, but it’s for a good cause. The organization is holding a from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. today at the . All proceeds will benefit the shelter and its programs.
4. Got an issue you’re itching to write about? Send it in as a blog entry.
5. Andrew Carnegie, who was born in Scotland and became a millionaire in the steel industry in the United States, died on this day in 1919 at the age of 83. Carnegie is also well-known as a philanthropist, dedicating much of his wealth to fund libraries and other beneficial institutions.