1. Break out the hat and gloves; the temperature range today is only 24 to 28 degrees. Sunrise is 7:11 a.m., sunset is 4:48 p.m. A partly cloudy day, clearing and a little breezy in the evening.
2. A couple of New London’s regular Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebrations are continuing this weekend. The details of these services will post on the home page at noon.
3. St. Sophia Hellenic Orthodox Church hosts a regular support group for divorced or separated men. This meets tonight at 7 p.m.
4. Looking to check out some local music? Visit at 5 p.m. for The Sounds of New London, a roundup of the next week in concerts.
5. Sir Edmund Barton, the first prime minister of Australia, was born on this day in 1849. Barton was a leader in the movement to have Australia recognized as a commonwealth of Great Britain; he began his term as prime minister in 1900 and resigned in 1903. He died in 1920 at the age of 70.