1. Another glorious day. Weather.com is predicting today will be sunny and clear with a high of 70 degrees. Tonight will be partly cloudy with an overnight low of 51 degrees.
2. "What am I doing to prevent crime in my community?" That's the theme for an essay and art contest sponsored by Shiloh Baptist Church's Prison Ministry for ages 6 to 26. The deadline for entries is October 1. Essays should be no longer than two pages. Don't forget to include your name, age, and contact information. Prizes will be awarded for the best entries. Mail entry to Shiloh Baptist Church Attention: Prison Ministry, 1 Garvin Street, New London, CT 06320 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Zerlina Maxwell, a contributor to the women’s political and social blog Feministing, will talk about what race and gender have in common when it comes to “Power, Privilege and Patriarchy." This talk will be held at Connecticut College, Ernst Common Room of Blaustein Humanities Center, 270 Mohegan Avenue, New London at 7 p.m. For more information, contact the women’s center at email@example.com.
4. Thinking about having fun? Have fun thinking at Trivia night with DJ Scully at Dickson Tavern, 36 Bank Street, tonight and every Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (860) 437-3600, or visit dicksonstavern.com.
5. Have a song in your heart? Sing it out loud at the Bulkeley House Saloon, 111 Bank Street, New London. Every Wednesday from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. is a free 'Acoustic Open Mic Night' hosted by Craig Johnson & Mike Rogoff. Sign up starts at 7 p.m., event ends at 11:00 p.m. and there's a three-song limit (subject to attendance levels). For more information, email email@example.com, call (860) 444-7753, or visit on Facebook.